Sunday 2 September 2012

Good parenting starts with leaving the kids at home


Leaving on a jet plane - finally!
(not the John Denver song)

1.30pm
1822km from Adelaide, 11582m up and just North-West of Ayres Rock

Doors are armed, the crew is seated, wheels are up, flaps are down and we're on our way!

We find ourselves seated in Row 25 in the middle aisle and en-route to our first stop: Kuala Lumpur.  Fortunately, we have the whole row to ourselves.  Unfortunately it's not long before some dratted kid a couple of rows back starts crying; a weird "rur rur rur" sound.  After it goes on for several minutes, I comment to Holly "that guy's gonna flatten the kid's battery if he keeps trying to start it up."  You all know how much I absolutely adore children but after about a minute listening to his starter-motor siren-song, this one's starting to make me doubt my sanity.

Holly starts to read so I put on my headphones and start movie number one.  It's a Jason Statham affair.  Russians and Chinese mafia both after a little girl.  A pretty standard action flick but I'll take it any day over a whinging kid two rows back who sounds like my first car trying to turn over on a cold morning.

Woah.  I just saw the outside temperature on the flight information: -52C.  No wonder he couldn't get that kid to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment